Pages

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday 5 July 2014

Women on Motorcycles: Silencing the Naysayers




Wanting to learn to ride a motorcycle or desiring to upgrade to a bigger and better bike sound like easy choices to make. But what if you're discouraged from doing so from those closest to you (or not so close). Or what if you don't believe that you can.

Well I can relate. I had dreamed of riding a motorcycle since I was 20 years old. I didn't get my license until I was 29 years old. One of the main factors that contributed to this was the response I received from my friends and family when I expressed my interest in doing so. They would tell me that it was dangerous or that I was crazy! Others would express concern at my small stature and cruelly mock that I would need to touch the ground if I was to ride a motorbike. There were even the select few that would suggest that females could not to ride motorcycles!

Eventually, it wore my enthusiasm and excitement down. I started to believe that I could not do it and that I was not capable of even learning how to ride. So I didn't do anything for a long time. Suddenly, I realized that I had let the naysayers turn me into my own worst naysayer!

I realized things had to change, I could not let others tell me that I couldn't do something, but most importantly, I couldn't doubt myself and discount my dream any longer. I had to learn to ignore the naysayers.

Here's how to silence the naysayers - from others and yourself.

Curbing the naysaying

First acknowledge their concern and reassure them that you have considered this carefully and that it's something you really want to do. If some of their points are valid, it's okay to consider them. It can only help you.

If the naysayers are people that are negative and jealous of you. Don't share your plans with them. It may be wise to ask yourself if you want people like that in your life, especially if they are prepared to put you down.

You may or may not receive support from these people, but the main thing is that you spoke up for yourself.

Trust yourself

The naysaying must be silenced within yourself. It's okay to feel nervous and a bit fearful. But don't forget, you have considered this, you have done your research and it's something you really want to do. What could be wrong with that?


Trust and believe in yourself that you are capable of doing this. Honor the fact that this is about you living your life the way you want and fulfilling an aspiration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment